| Season 3, Episode #4 |
(#55) in series (95 episodes)
"Wheels", a land developer, decides to tear down the daycare center, so Mork challenges him to a skate-off through Boulder in "Dueling Skates" in Season 3 (ep.#4).
|"Mork & Mindy" episode|
|Guest Star(s):||Reid Smith|
|Production code:||304 (3x4)|
|Writer(s)||Dale McRaven & Bruce Johnson|
|Original airdate||November 27, 1980|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Mork in Never Never Land"||"Mork the Prankster"|
|List of Mork & Mindy seasons/episodes|
Dueling Skates was fourth episode from Season 3 of Mork and Mindy, also the 55th overall episode in the series. Co-written by Dale McRaven and Bruce Johnson, the episode, which was directed by Garry Marshall, originally aired on ABC-TV on November 27, 1980.
A pretentious land-owner nicknamed "Wheels" decides to tear down the daycare center, so Mork challenges him to a skate-off through Boulder.
When Wheels, the owner of the daycare center, announces plans to level the building, Mork challenges him to a skate-off through the city of Boulder.
The episode opens with Mork learning that the Pine Tree day care center is due to be demolished, and that the owner, Carl Simpson (Bill Morey), has no involvement with anything his son Wheels (Reid Smith) chooses to do. Young and irresponsible, Wheels won't relent in his effort to 'flatten the place,' so Mork challenges him to his favorite sport, roller skating, to save his job and the children.
A 20-mile skate through the Rocky Mountains doesn't deter Wheels, a champion cross country skater, forcing Mork to practice until every bone in his body aches. Mr. Bickley serves as judge, but Wheels has a few surprises in store (a set of tires across the road), making his opponent suspicious, even muttering like Popeye. Over the hills and far away, across a grass field, Mork reaches the finish line just under his cheating nemesis.
- Rollerskating was a fad that exploded in the late 1970s and seeped into pop-culture in programs such as this, as well as movies like Roller Boogie and Xanadu. Much of this episode was shot on-location, including the interior of a typical roller-rink.
- Mork has difficulty and claims he's never skated before, but he displayed coordination skating around the apartment in earlier episodes of the series.
- Robin Williams as Mork
- Pam Dawber as Mindy McConnell
- Conrad Janis as Fred McConnell
- Crissy Wilzak as Glenda Faye Comstock
- Ralph James as Voice of Orson
- Gina Hecht as Jeanie DaVinci (credited only)
- Jim Staahl as Nelson Flavor (credited only)
- Jay Thomas as Remo DaVinci (credited only)
Guest starring/Recurring castEdit
- Reid Smith as Wheels
- Priscilla Morrill as Mrs. Fowler
- Bill Morey as Mr. Simpson
- Tom Kindle as Bozz
- Bebo as Himself